We care about food and ignore utensils. Don’t neglect; Quality of Utensils is equally essential as Food.
We care about our food and don’t care about what we are using to cook, serve and eating food. We use several utensils of aluminium, steel, copper, Teflon coated, ceramic cookware, nickel polished, etc but don’t know about nutritional value retention capacity, limitations of use and how they can affect our health.
Our modern kitchens have utensils that can be very dangerous, and they can leave heavy metals and toxins. Cadmium, lead, mercury, poisonous compounds polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) carcinogens and toxins are commonly found in low-quality utensils. Also, many other harmful chemicals, especially when they get heat or react with salt, mineral and acidic food substances.
On the other hand, useful utensils preserve your food’s nutritional value and add some dietary micronutrients without harmful chemical or carcinogenesis effects. So it is unavoidable to understand about utensils and how to use them because inappropriate use of utensils lowers the nutritious value of foods and can also cause many diseases.
EVERYTHING WHICH GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD, CHECK SAFETY BEFORE USE.
- Teflon cookware is very popular because of its convenience, good looking, and save time in the kitchen but a low quality or old Teflon coated cookware can be very dangerous to your health. Teflon coating is made of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), a plastic polymer that leaves toxins at high temperatures.
- One can have a fever, tightness in the chest, cough, or asthma-like symptoms with the effect of these toxins. Another chemical in Teflon is perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) which has carcinogenic properties and can cause breast, prostate, blood, and ovarian cancers.
- Mostly used stainless steel cookware can cause a Nickel allergy if they are not of high quality and metal related health problems can cause other harm to your body too. Using nickel cookware or low-quality stainless steel is a horrible choice; it can cause kidney disease, high blood pressure, cardiac problems, and even lung cancer.
- Elegant looking, lightweight and robust aluminium cookware feel very attractive to cook and serve. You can handle different looks in your kitchen and dining table. Still, aluminium quickly reacts with micronutrients in food and vegetables that will decrease your nutritious food value.
- Aluminium is known as a neurotoxic substance and can cause Alzheimer’s disease. It can also produce asthma, thyroid problems, paralysis, heart complications, and low immunity. Cooking in aluminium cookware retains only 15 to 25% nutritional value of food. Regular use of aluminium utensils and even aluminium foil can be very harmful to your health.
- Brass is good, but heating at a high temperature quickly reacts with salt and acidic food items. Non-heating use of brass is safe and healthy, avoid heating or cooking food in brass utensils.
- Stainless steel is made of chromium, silicon, carbon, nickel, and iron. It is okay if high-quality. Low-quality steel can be very harmful to your health as it may cause allergies and many kinds of skin issues, urinary problems, and liver problems.
- The use of plastic and synthetic polycarbonate utensils could be very harmful to your health, especially if heated because heating foods in plastic utensils can contaminate your food or drink with toxic chemicals and carcinogens.
- Ceramic coated cookware is modern looking and easy to use. Still, its coating is not very durable. It got cracks, started chipping off, and started contaminating food with hazardous lead and cadmium, can cause abdominal discomfort, headache, infertility, and even coma or death in severe cases.
- Cadmium can cause damage to the joints, heart, kidneys, eyes, and brain. Ceramic cookware with lead metal can react with acidic food at high temperatures, and the lead is hazardous to your health, particularly for the liver and kidneys.
- Serving copper or using copper utensils for water storage is good but do not cook salty or acidic food in copper cookware because Salt and Iodine can react with copper. Many other minerals can also respond with copper at high temperature, and they can be toxic to your body.
- Frequent use of copper utensils for cooking can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, and other gastrointestinal distress, long term use can give yellow discolouration of skin and liver disease. You can use copper cookware, only for non-heating purposes and serving or storing water.
“All that glitters, at first sight, is not gold”, do not choose cookware or utensils only by great looks, lightweight and easy to use. Give priority to qualities of cookware that are good for your health.
Do not use aluminium, granite, ceramic coated type of cookware. Also, avoid regular use of a pressure cooker as it only saves time but loses almost 90% nutritional value. All pressure cookers have aluminium or alloys of aluminium, which is very harmful to health. So keep the pressure cooker for short time quick-cooking, don’t use it in regular cooking.
Get a non-stick or Teflon coated cookware free from polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) and perfluoro-octanoic acid (PFOA). Use safe non-stick steel, cast iron, or with high-quality non-stick coating cookware. Use high-quality non-stick cookware only twice a week, not regularly. Also, replace it every year, never use tear and wear coating cookware. Only use a wooden spoon to stir when you’re cooking with non-stick cookware.
Low or medium quality non-stick or cracked or scratched coating cookware that can contaminate your food with harmful mercury, cadmium, and LEAD metals may damage the heart, liver, brain, and kidney also cause many types of cancers.
High-quality food-grade stainless steel utensils free from nickel and chromium leakage are an excellent choice for daily cooking. Still, remember that stainless steel retains only 60% of the nutritional value of your food.
Use clay pots for water storage, make curd, and cook at least one or two dishes in a week in a handi or clay pots like rice, daal, chicken, mutton, etc. You can also boil milk in clay pots. Clay pots retain almost 100% nutritional value of food and clay pots have many essential micronutrient minerals like calcium, sulfur, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, etc., which finally add value and taste in food.
Use bronze cookware for cooking. Remember, only add salt, lemon or vinegar when its temperature gets lowered or not very hot. Cooking in bronze retains more than 90% of the nutritional value of your food.
Brass is also the right choice of footwear but avoids cooking acidic foods and mixed salt after cooking brass retains more than 90% of your food’s nutritional value.
Glass is the best choice for the microwave, the best alternative to avoid plastic polycarbonate cookware. Use good quality glass utensils; they are free from toxins and retain your foods’ nutrient value.
100% PURE SOLID CERAMIC utensils are useful as they are made of natural material and do not give harmful effects on health and retain 90% of the nutritional value of food. ( Do not use ceramic coated cookware )
Iron is the best choice for high heating and long duration cooking and can be the best option for your family health but take proper care to avoid Rust and cracks. Iron cookware retains and adds the nutritional value of your food by adding iron in food, preventing and treating iron-deficiency anaemia.
CHOOSE AND USE UTENSILS, GOOD FOR HEALTH
You can use different types of right utensils every day and receive benefits from all kinds of useful utensils, like use clay pots once in a week and retain 100% of the nutritional value. Once in a weak branch and brass, it can keep more than 90% of the nutritional value of food and add many micronutrients in food. Using clay pots is the healthiest choice you can regularly use one of the clay pots like Tava, Kadai, Handi, bowls, and water storing pots.
Use a silver spoon, plate, and bowl, because silver is perfect for your immunity and mental health, is it also beneficial for acidity problems, hypertension, stress, depression. It is the best choice for children because the silver spoon can increase their brain activity and immunity. We can also control their anger or behaviour changes with silver utensils, but avoid its use during a cold or respiratory infection.
The best choice of utensils is
- CLAY POTS
- BRONZE, KANSA
- BRASS, PITAL
- GOOD QUALITY GLASS UTENSILS
- 100% PURE SOLID CERAMIC POTS
- HIGH-QUALITY STAINLESS STEEL
- DAILY USE OF SILVER SPOON OR BOWL, at least IN ONE MEAL per day IS VERY GOOD FOR HEALTH.
For Health assistance, Detailed Case Study and Lifestyle Modifications by Expert Doctors, join our monthly plan “HEALTH TRANSFORMATION”