Lifestyle modification in diabetes
In the last two decades, we witness high-tech life, comforts, urbanization, and increase in per capita income, luxuries, online shopping, servants with all types of home automation, sedentary life and poor diet.
All these factors caused a tremendous increase in this Lifestyle epidemic, hazards to India’s health than ultimately reducing life expectancy and quality. Approximately 77 Million affected from diabetes make India “the diabetic capital of the world”.
Some universal facts are that.
“Our body and metabolism are not designed to remain in a luxurious sedentary life” and not to live in an entirely unnatural, artificial environment. Also not meant to get nourishment from processed, fast food with many harmful chemicals, toxins, pesticides, and high salt-sodium-calorie intake. It is also not assigned to wear a regularly high level of stress or continuous mental workload.
Lifestyle and Diet are responsible.
Factors responsible for the spread of diabetes and making it an epidemic in India and the whole world lies within our “lifestyle and dietary habits”. Medicines alone are not capable of controlled diabetes. They get ineffective with time if you don’t change your diet, Lifestyle, sleep, stress management, weight control, and physical activity.
What you can change in your diet
- Increase intake of slow digestive food with a low glycemic index that transformed slowly into sugar after digestion will help get your sugar level in control.
- Altogether avoid full milk, milk products, refined flour, refined sugar, refined oil, Maida, starch, white rice, excess sugar, white noodles, fried food, deep-fried food, processed and canned food.
- Bakery products, candies, gems, soups, and biscuits are also full of simple carbs and can be harmful to diabetes.
- Trans fats, saturated fats are not only giving high calories and bad fats but can also be a reason to accelerate the rate of oxidation, corrosion, inflammation, and developing complications of diabetes quickly.
- Avoid animal fat and trans fat, saturated fats with Omega 6 fatty acid; it can increase your problems.
- You have to increase plant-based natural, unprocessed oils loaded with healthy fats and fatty acids like Omega 3 fatty acids, which help reduce oxidation, corrosion, and the destructive effect of diabetes on your nerves and brain health.
- In nonveg, you have to prefer grass-fed non-veg or fish, a healthy source of good fats and protein, avoid poke, beef, or a grain feed source of nonveg.
- Eat a low-fat, high-fibre diet with fresh raw fruits, vegetables.
- Try to eat boiled, grilled, minimum oil cooking,
- Whole grain, multigrain roti of jowar, Bajra, Makka, and a small amount of besan is a healthy combination.
- Have brown rice, natural unpolished daal daily.
- Start using freshly grind Indian natural masala this will help to fight against diabetes,
- Daily intake of dry fruits, nuts, coffee, green tea, herbal tea can also help if taken in a limited amount.
- Frequent urination in diabetes primary causes depletion of minerals and micronutrients with urine. Take supplements of the vitamin B complex, Vitamin C, vitamin D, zinc, magnesium, calcium, and various antioxidants.
- Protein can harm your kidney. If it is already affected by diabetes, restrict protein intake as advised by your physician. This amount should be equally divided into two or three parts of food intake daily.
- Do not combine fruits with meals or fruit juices with meals; try to get a limited amount of calorie intake, divided into many small meals with a gap of 3 to 4 hours throughout the day.
- You can add a fresh RAW vegetable salad with your every meal equal to one-third of your total meal portion. This will limit your calorie intake and add natural micronutrient intake.
Yoga for diabetes
- Yoga can help prevent and cure diabetes, even if it is also beneficial in rehabilitation and overcoming complications. Yoga stretching and messaging to muscles and vital internal organs by yogasana can improve function and boost the body’s metabolism and organ functions.
- Pranayama’s practice of controlled respiration relaxes the mind and increases vital energy in the body, ultimately helping to cure disease and retain its natural state.
- Dhyan, dharna, Samadhi can give better mind-body harmony, relax your stress, increase positivity, and lead to better physical and mental health.
- Proper and regular practice of yoga and pranayama can give very positive, balanced, integrated benefits to a physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual level that can improve the fight back mechanism of your body against various Lifestyle diseases.
- Complete gastrointestinal tract cleaning with sandhav salt and lukewarm water added with some herbs help you get the full benefit of yoga, Pranayam, and herbal medicines.
- Asanas and stretching techniques used in many yogas can benefit you against diabetes and Lifestyle diseases.
- Yoga pranayama and different types of mudras help you to overcome Lifestyle disease.
You can get better support from Ayurveda.
- Ayurveda has a holistic approach to disease cure and prevention,
- You can get better diet plans, pathya-apathya, natural herb support, and beneficial Ayurved preparations.
- The treatment of Ayurveda has three steps: first is Nidan Parivarjan, second is samashodhan, third is aushadhi prayog.
- Herbs like garlic, turmeric, aloe vera, anvla, gudmaar, Cinnamomum, curry leaves, Methi, Tej Patra, Karela, ajwain, Jamun, onion, black pepper can help you naturally when you add these to your diet.
- Ayurvedic preparations like Shilajitvadi laugh, Chandraprabha Vati, Shudh Shilajit, and Vasant kusumakar Ras are also very useful in treating diabetes. Still, use AYUSH medicine under expert advice and consultation.
Diabetes and exercise
- Do not exercise without proper investigations and advice from a physician or consultant.
- Do not exercise if blood glucose is more than 300 milligrams per deciliter of blood glucose is less 80 milligrams per deciliter.
- Do not exercise if you have a retinal haemorrhage or under-treatment of retinopathy or any ophthalmic problems.
- Do not exercise in the evening or late at night because it can cause nocturnal hypoglycemia.
- Do not exercise alone in your home or gym you should be with someone who can attend you in any difficulty.
- Avoid heavy weight exercises; avoid intense high repetition exercises.
- Do not exercise if you have any urine problems, any injury, abscess, or any discomfort.
- Check blood glucose levels before and after exercise at least a few sessions when you start the activity or join the gym.
- Take small snacks before the start, Carry sugar, glucose, or some sweet with you in emergency hypoglycemia.
- Stay hydrated and drink adequate water.
- Get proper size, good quality shoes to avoid any risk of injury.
- Always have an ID card that must mention the address, contact number of your and doctor’s address and contact numbers.
- Go for regular check-ups of blood pressure, sugar, and any other health issues.
Benefits of exercise in diabetes
- Exercise improves insulin sensitivity.
- Exercise reduces the level of triglycerides and cholesterol.
- Exercise increases high-density lipoprotein that is good cholesterol.
- Exercise reduces hypertension to maintain healthy blood pressure.
- Exercise reduces your weight and BMI in healthy limits.
- Exercise improves metabolic rate, which increases your sense of wellbeing and vitality.
- Exercise positively affects your health, digestion, mood and fights back stamina against disease.
For Health assistance, Detailed Case Study and Lifestyle Modifications by Expert Doctors, join our monthly plan “HEALTH TRANSFORMATION”