Type 2 diabetes is the fastest-growing epidemic in India, more than 10 million cases per year, with more than 10% prevalence in the Urban population. It could be double in the next ten years.
In simple terms, Diabetes type 2 is a condition the cells are not responding to insulin, which controls the blood glucose level and that high sugar level causes many deadly health complications. It can still cause potential health complications like cardiovascular disease, stroke, kidney problems, retinopathy, and many more. So diabetes type 2 is a Gateway to various life taking conditions in modern India.
Modern living and increasing per capita income in India raised more than 300 % between 1990 to 2016 (world Bank data), more and more people are getting into luxurious and Sedentary Lifestyle.
Combining a sedentary lifestyle with stress and high caloric diet is the most significant cause of rising diabetes type 2. It has raised approximately 123 per cent occurrence in the above given period, continuously increasing its prevalence in the middle and young age group. This data is more severe for the next decade.
Technically type 2 diabetes, also known as Diabetes mellitus, is a chronic condition of metabolic and response disorder. The human body cannot handle or control the level of its primary energy molecule that is “glucose”. Life factors like sedentary habits, day-night work schedules, stress, junk foods, disturbed sleep, chemicals, and unnatural living are top factors spreading diabetes exponentially.
Sudden event of diabetes, especially in early age and middle young age mostly has a genetic cause, which is inclined to develop early complications of diabetes type 2. Common complications are obesity, cholesterol, hypertension, kidney problems, lousy lipid profile, cardiovascular diseases, and neuropathy.
The urban population in India is three times more affected by diabetes type 2 than the rural population. The prevalence of young and Middle Age diabetes is also very high in the urban population.
Points to remember
- The point to note here is crucial that everyone with type 2 diabetes is not overweight or obese.
- Diabetes onset after 40 years shortens your life expectancies by average “10 years” but this figure can even worse for children and youths who develop “Diabetes Mellitus” in their early life.
Lifestyle Factors and health conditions prone to getting diabetes
- Body mass index above 25,
- Waist hip ratio is more than 0.95,
- Lack of physical activity especially when your waist size is more than 36 inches for men and 32 inches for women,
- High level, continuous stress,
- Smoking and tobacco addiction,
- Regular use of alcohol more than eight drinks per weak week,
- Family history of diabetes,
- Sedentary lifestyle,
- A diet with high calories, like oily, saturated fats, trans fats foods, refined flour, sweets, and carbonated drinks,
- High glycemic indexed refined sugars and carbohydrate intake,
- Long term use of medicines like antipsychotics, beta-blockers, and some other cardiovascular medications,
- Having diseases or disorders like hypothyroid, Polycystic ovarian syndrome, testosterone deficiency, depression, and some cancers,
How to overcome and prevent diabetes
- A healthy diet, fresh veggies, fruits, multigrain, whole grain flour, non-fat dairy products, lean meat, fish with total avoidance of saturated fats, trans fat, and sugar can help you.
- Take diets in repeated small meals at regular intervals. Restrict extra sugar calories or refined carbohydrates or any high glycemic food, which should replace with low glycemic carbohydrate, low glycemic whole grains, multigrain, and fibre-rich natural food.
- Regularly take the best level of micronutrients and antioxidants with Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Omega 3 fatty acids, and other healthy natural herbs.
- Increase your physical activity, start work out, play outdoor games, cycling, jogging, yoga, swimming, walking at least 60 to 70 minutes daily.
- “Slow, steady and disciplined” weight management planning, will work in diabetes by cutting 250-400 calories per day, Plus 25 minutes of exercise per day at least five days a week follow this plan for 15 days, and you can change or upgrade it for the next 15 days.
- It is more beneficial for diabetic persons below 45 if one tries to mix moderate physical activities and vigorous physical activities. You can moderate physical activity, including cycling, brisk walking, swimming, treadmill, jogging, and playing badminton or tennis.
- You can add time-bound fast sprint running for 50 meters and a hundred meters in physical activities, or you can skip rope for 2 minutes to 5 minutes in 2, 3 rounds. Other cardiovascular training with your physician’s proper advice, ultimately you have to get a good BMI body mass index between 20 to 25.
- Stop smoking; smoking can give you more than a thousand toxins, affecting your overall metabolism by affecting heart rate, kidney functions, lung capacity, liver workload, and getting abnormality or disease quickly if you have diabetes.
- Stop chewing tobacco is equally as harmful as smoking. In addition to all the harmful effects given in smoking tobacco also affects saliva secretion, test buds sensitivity, and digestion severely.
- Stop or Limit your alcohol intake to the minimum; alcohol can make the situation worse even you get all cardiovascular, neurological, and kidney-related complications of diabetes very quickly if you don’t check your boozing habit.
- Get register with a specialist doctor to get proper medicine and regular checkup and follow the rules, and you can overcome problems and complications of diabetes for sure.
Don’t ignore the deadly complications of diabetes.
Monitoring sugar level, regular checkups, dietary restrictions, daily physical activity, strategic management, proper sleep, and taking care of infections or injuries, always strongly recommended once a person screened “diabetes type 2”.
The onset of diabetes can give some profound changes, not only response to insulin but also a higher level of blood sugar can change various cell activities, fat lipid metabolism, and various other changes.
The onset of diabetes can give some severe complications within 4 to 10 years or earlier.
If diabetes remains unattended or uncontrolled, and complications of diabetes can be acute or chronic depending upon the level of diabetes and your lifestyle modification and a diet change.
If we discuss the acute type of complications that could arise due to negligence are a high risk of coma, either because of a deficient sugar level or very high, this can lead to a coma stage that can be life-threatening.
When it comes to chronic complications related to diabetes ranges from large blood vessel-related and small blood vessel-related problems due to change in anatomy and functions or due to infection.
Most considerable large blood vessel-related complications of diabetes are-
- Heart disease like angina, Heart Attack, Stroke, atherosclerosis,
- Brain stroke
Small blood vessel-related complications of diabetes are
- Nerve damage
- kidney damage
- Issues with vision and eye damage can cause cataracts, blurred vision, and blindness.
Some other complications due to both large and small Blood vessels related damages are
- Foot complications due to low blood flow, damaged nerve supply, chronic or frequent infections, and late healing, called the “diabetic foot”.
- Skin problems
- Dementia for Alzheimer’s disease
Increased Glucose level is the ideal environment for the growth of disease-causing organisms that are bacteria and virus and some other parasites. Insufficient blood supply, support infection growth, and lower the approach and reach of antibiotics to infected tissue it makes very hard to treat infections.
Cancer cells or malignant tissues also get a favourable environment for growth because of the high availability of glucose and the inadequate approach of drugs, minerals, antioxidants.
Get enrolled in “Our online program” for Lifestyle, Diet improvement and detailed Case study by expert Doctors.
How to avoid complications of diabetes
Medicines alone are not capable of controlling diabetes; they get ineffective with time. If you don’t change your lifestyle and diet with weight control, you will be prone to complications even earlier than expected.
To avoid life-threatening, silent complications of diabetes best recommendation is
- Try to control sugar level fasting below 120 (milligrams per decilitre), and below 145 after 2 hours of a meal.
- Never miss daily physical activity at least 60 minutes per day or 300 minutes for the week if you count in total weekly.
- Proper medication and regular checkups are essential in case of diabetes. There is a frequent need to check combinations and effectiveness of medicines. Healthy lifestyle modifications will help you not to change your medications frequently.
- Using natural Herbs and AYUSH medicines will help you control diabetes and prevent you from getting any complications. Preventive natural ayurvedic care helps avoid an increase in your diabetes, helping prevent any complications of diabetes.
- Practice yoga and meditation, it can control and even help to cure diabetes in which you can follow yogasana, muscular stretching, weight control, and relaxing asanas. Yoga also gives internal massage to your vital organs and improves metabolism.
- Pranayam is a scientifically proved breathing technique to increase vital energy and enhance metabolism. Meditation will Heal your mental issues, sleep cycle, and stress, give you positive thoughts, positive vibrations, and happiness.
- In short
- Leave or manage your stress,
- Start meditation, yoga, Pranayam,
- Practice relaxing mood-enhancing activities,
- Get yourself busy with what you love to do,
- Increase your physical activities,
- Change the habit of eating more and rest more,
- Get over smoking, tobacco, alcohol and other addictions.