Cholesterol is a scary word that brings fear, chiefly for age above 40. It exhibits the appearance of a disease or danger nowadays, where people’s unhealthy, lifestyles, low diet, disturbed sleep, and lack of physical activity making this word scarier.
CHOLESTEROL IS ESSENTIAL FOR HEALTH
Apart from fear and worry cholesterol also has to do some essential work for our body and below the optimum level of cholesterol, even depletion of LDL can cause many structural, physiological and cognitive health problems. Our body needs cholesterol and makes this to fulfil requirements. The body needs cholesterol for
- The structural part of the animal cell membrane
- Necessary molecule for repair and maintenance
- Better immunity and defence mechanism
- Precursor molecule for the synthesis of bile helps in digestion,
- Production of testosterone, estrogen and cortisol hormones,
- Insulated coating of neurons,
- Transmission of nerve impulses
- Essential for cognitive abilities of the brain
- Vitamin D and Calcium metabolism
Also read article “OBESITY IN INDIANS”
HOW MUCH OUR BODY NEED
Cholesterol measurement has two sides one is the quantity, and the other is its quality. Almost all required cholesterol by the body can synthesise by liver and intestine.
1. It is terrible if the total cholesterol flowing with blood is more than 240 milligrams per deciliter. It borderline yellow flag for you between 200 to 239 mg/dl becomes a red flag above 240 mg/dl.
2. The Second type of measurement with the separate assessment of good cholesterol and bad cholesterol: high-density lipoprotein HDL and low-density lipoprotein LDL. These are the type of lipoprotein which carries cholesterol. LDL is terrible, so it should be less than 100 milligrams per decilitre and HDL is good, and it should be above 60 milligrams per deciliter. The third is VLDL, very-low-density lipoproteins also have a bad reputation for health.
WHAT MAKES IT SCARY
What gives LDL cholesterol a terrible reputation. LDL Cholesterol is a waxy, sticky substance when blood flow access can cause plaques or fatty narrowing of blood vessels walls. Narrowing and blocking arteries develop atherosclerosis, coronary heart disease, and increased heart attacks and stroke risk. LDL is low-density lipoprotein that is slowly used or broken by the liver and takes more time to excreted out from the body and accumulates in the arterial walls.
On the other hand HDL, high-density lipoprotein is reasonable. It carries LDL cholesterol from blood and arteries, brings LDL back to the liver to utilise, break and excretes out from the body. HDL is beneficial because it helps maintain the cholesterol level within a limit and protect coronary heart disease.
Also read article Health Education and Lifestyle disease
GENDER AND LEVEL OF CHOLESTEROL
Female have hormonal immunity against cholesterol by their estrogen. It has checked cholesterol in a limit until menopause. Male doesn’t have this protection and genetic structure of Indian men is also a cause of a higher level of cholesterol if combined with poor food habits and a sedentary lifestyle.
WHAT CAUSE HIGH CHOLESTEROL LEVELS
- Luxury and Inactive lifestyle
- No exercise, prolonged sitting, computer job
- Smoking and alcohol
- Family history of cholesterol and heart disease
- Obesity or high BMI
- Chronic depression
- Food with high sodium and salts
- Excess of trans fats and saturated fats
- High sugar and refined sugar intake
- Excess milk and milk products
- Regular intake of fried and deep-fried foods
- Vegetable refined oils
- Fast foods, Icecream, bakery products
- Softdrinks and energy drink
- Chronic inflammatory disease
- Diabetes and long duration prediabetes
- Polycystic ovary syndrome, PCOS
- long term use of steroids
- Some medicine like immunosuppressive drugs, diuretics etc.
HOW TO CONTROL HIGH CHOLESTEROL
Prevention is the best strategy for Cholesterol control because Indian men are at higher risk of getting a high cholesterol level, mostly silent in action and can give blockage, Heart Attack and stroke. How to control cholesterol can be understood by a list of causes of high cholesterol shown above.
Diet has the most critical role in blood biochemistry and obesity, so it is mandatory to check on the food.
Limit sugar intake, saturated fat trans fat intake. These should be less than 8% of total daily calorie intake. Avoid heavy use of milk products, especially after age 40. Restrict once in a week intake of red meat, fast foods, soft drinks, energy drinks, and high sodium-salt-sugar containing foods, to check high cholesterol levels.
Healthy unsaturated fat is good; it increases the level of HDL and decreases the level of LDL. For this, add olive oil, fish, almonds, walnut, flaxseed, whole grain, multigrain, legumes, Beans, Brown Rice in the diet. Opt for a lean protein source, add up fibre foods, apple, grapes, citrus fruits, Omega 3 fatty acid, and antioxidants for better results.
“Pear shape body, BMI more than 30 or waist size greater than 36 inches”, means a high LDL level and low level of HDL. Getting the body in shape with regular aerobic exercise at least 15 minutes a day following a heavy workout 20 minutes to 30 minutes depends on your age strength and health condition will solve most of the lifestyle health problems.
Exercise not only helps to lose weight but also control triglyceride LDL level and increase HDL level. One can choose dance, doing cardio, cycling, aerobic, skipping or anything love to do.
Get more information about Physical Activities
- Habit one-day calorie restriction or Fast a day per week,
- Manage the stress level
- Stop tobacco and smoking,
- Stop or limit your alcohol intakes,
- Avoid soda drinks and carbonated drinks,
- Avoid frequent restaurant foods or Fast food.
- Get proper 6 to 8 hours sleep in the night.
- Practice meditation and yoga, exercise regularly.
Check your Lifestyle choices and Health Risks
AYURVEDA SUGGEST SOME USEFUL PRACTICE
- TAKE 2 GARLIC CLOVE IN MORNING WITH WARM WATER.
- USE GINGER IN FOOD
- USE SENDHAV/ LAHORI SALT
- USE MIXED MULTIGRAIN FLOUR
- USE PURE DESI GHEE OF COW
- USE UNPROCESSED PURE OIL FROM LOCAL TRUSTED SPILLERS
- SARSON, TILA, COCONUT, MUNGFALI OIL IS GOOD
- USE FRESH WHOLE VEGETABLE AND WHOLE FRUITS
- USE UNPOLISHED DAAL AND RICE
- PRACTICE 5 TO 10 MINUTES VAJRASANA AFTER DINNER
- WLAK AT LEAST 200 METER AFTER DINNER BEFORE BED.
For best online health transformation assistance and Case study by expert doctors “Join Our Services“